Alfresco Community 4.2
- 1 What's new in Alfresco Community 4.2?
- 1.1 New and Improved Share dashboard dashlets
- 1.2 My Documents
- 1.3 LightTheme and Share Header
- 1.4 Document Library
- 1.5 Rich Media Gallery View for Document Library
- 1.6 Table View
- 1.7 Icon Refresh
- 1.8 My Files and Shared Files
- 1.9 User Trashcan
- 1.10 Quick Share
- 1.11 Workflow UI improvements
- 1.12 iPad and Android usability fixes and improvements
- 1.13 HTML5 multi-file upload
- 1.14 SpringSurf 1.2
- 1.15 Category Manager and Tag Manager fixes and improvements
- 1.16 Sharepoint VTI module improvements
- 1.17 WebDAV
- 1.18 Latest Activiti BPM engine
- 1.19 Alfresco Public REST API
- 1.20 Metadata Query
- 1.21 Search help information
- 1.22 Download as ZIP action
- 1.23 Google Docs
- 1.24 CMIS
- 1.25 IMAP
- 1.26 RM 2.1.0 Compatibility
- 1.27 Forms Runtime Validation improvements
- 1.28 Wiki CSS improvements
- 2 Release Notes
What's new in Alfresco Community 4.2?
The Search results dashlet allows a user to enter fts-alfresco search and see results across all their sites (when added to user dashboard) or just within a specific site (site dashboard).
Similar to Site Search – but the query is set via the dashlet settings panel – since this panel is only accessible to Site Managers. It means that "pre-canned" site searches can be set up by a Site Manager – great for reporting since it supports the full power of fts-alfresco search syntax. The title of dashlet can also be changed in the settings panel to make it clearer what the dashlet is reporting on.
Dashlet to show forum posts that a user has created or replied to recently.
The Image Summary includes a Improved liquid layout, folder path selection to show sub-set of images within a site, as well as an improved lightbox view.
My Tasks Dashlet
Filter “all” has been split into “active” and “completed”, with paging added.
Content I’m Editing
Dashlet converted to asynchronous loading to improve initial dashboard display speed. Now shows documents in repository locations such as MyFiles and SharedFiles.
Add a custom notice for display to site users by a Site Manager. A more convenient way to display HTML text content in a dashlet that adding the wiki dashlet to perform this function.
Now shows documents in repository locations such as MyFiles and SharedFiles.
The latest Share user interface theme to be added to Alfresco and a preview of the newer more modern look we are working towards in the Share UI. This theme is a step towards a lighter looking, more modern UI experience. This theme is now the default for new installations.
An improved and redesigned Share header component. The header includes access to the new application areas such as My Files and improved Site favourite management.
- Simplified Document Library Toolbar
A collapsed and simplified user experience for the Document Library toolbar area.
- The ability for developers to more easily add custom view modes to the Document Library.
Rich Media Gallery View for Document Library
The Gallery View is now available in the Document Library. The new view supports the standard Document Library features such as multi-file select, drag-and-drop upload and also new features such the ability to dynamically change the number and size of the thumbnail images that are displayed in real-time. Filmstrip view enables rapid viewing of large thumbnails for media files directly from the Gallery View. It also features Full Window and Full Screen options for distraction free viewing of large media files.
A new Table or “spreadsheet” like view. A basic document table view plus Audio and Media focused table views are configured and available by default. See the <view-renderers> section in share-config.xml for examples of how these views are configured, including example Email and Dublin Core views.
Share has had a new set of icons rendered for it, in keeping with the flat styling of most modern web-sites and applications.
Users now have their home folder exposed in Alfresco Share, accessible from the “My Files” option in the header.
Shared Files is a common Contributor location accessible to all users (by default) - this maps to a new folder under the “Company Home”. An Administrator can set-up appropriate company permissions to use this as a central location for shared documents.
Now all users can retrieve accidently deleted files and folders without contacting an Adminstrator. Accessible under the My Profile area, a user Trashcan is a searchable location where files can be restored or purged with multi-select actions
Public sharing of shortened document URLs
Workflow UI improvements
- Delete completed workflow
- Show the completed tasks and workflows
iPad and Android usability fixes and improvements
HTML editing for Create Content, Wiki, Blogs, and Forums (TinyMCE integration improved), drag-n-drop support for Customize Dashboard/Site and rules ordering.
HTML5 multi-file upload
As well as the existing HTML5 drag-n-drop (in supported HTML5 browsers), the Document Library now supports multi-file selection in the standard upload dialog. With this change, there really is no need for the Flash-based uploader on modern browsers. Note that the Flash uploader is now disabled by default due to enhanced Tomcat 7 security settings - see the Release Notes if you require the Flash uploader for older browsers.
- module-deployment features
- No need to “clear internet cache” for end users when deploying Alfresco 4.2 or any future version. This great feature means the pain of clearing the temporary files cache has gone away when rolling out Alfresco 4.2 to your users!
- CSS image encoding (automatic embedding of small image resources into CSS files); a feature that helps to save resources reducing the number of small image files that need to be downloaded to the client
- Widget refactoring and extensibility hooks
- More Share extensibility features for developers
- Configurable RemoteClient - timeouts, buffer sizes, http proxy settings, tcp settings, the white/black list of unsecure HTML tags for wiki editing and inline display of HTML content from Alfresco is now fully configurable
- Prevent 304 revalidations for unchanged thumbnail images - a feature that means Share will no longer need to execute checks back to Alfresco to see if document or user avatar thumbnail images have changed – reduced network traffic and improved performance
Category Manager and Tag Manager fixes and improvements
- Stability and coverage (litmus tests), range header support.
- WebDAV-based activities
Latest Activiti BPM engine
Activiti 5.13 release
Alfresco Public REST API
Including access to Sites, People, Favorites, Tags and more
A subset of CMIS/fts-alfresco queries may be automatically executed against the database if they do not contain OR, CONTAINS(), SCORE() or IN_TREE(); nor refer to decimal, boolean or URI CMIS data types. https://issues.alfresco.com/jira/browse/ALF-19126
Search help information
Inline help for the main search page when results are not found.
Download as ZIP action
Combined multi-file download action in the document library.
Google Docs integration in Share is now available as an optional module in the installer.
- Support for CMIS 1.1 features such as the Browser Binding.
- CMIS-based activities
For more information on Alfresco and CMIS please see cmis.alfresco.com.
Implementation of secure IMAP protocol, IMAPS
RM 2.1.0 Compatibility
The Records Management 2.1.0 module is compatible with Community 4.2.e and is available on the additional downloads page.
Forms Runtime Validation improvements
Improved user feedback for invalid form data - as already present on Alfresco Cloud.
Wiki CSS improvements
Improved stylesheet for displaying pages for the Wiki component in Share.