NOTE - This page refers to an SDK which is now deprecated and might be dropped in the future. Please refer to the (Maven) Alfresco SDK to start developing on Alfresco. Full official supported user documentation and examples are available at Alfresco Docs, while for advanced configuration documentation for the SDK refer to the Maven Site Documentation. Up to date samples based on this SDK are available here
Back to Developer Guide
Alfresco provides a developer oriented download bundle, known as the Alfresco SDK (Software Development Kit) to complement the Alfresco release bundle. Each release has its own version of the SDK and you should match the SDK to the version of alfresco.
Purpose of the Alfresco SDK
The Alfresco SDK provides support for developers who wish to extend or customise the Alfresco platform.
It's been designed for the developer to get developing with minimal fuss for the following development scenarios:
- Developing Alfresco Repository plug-ins such as:
- Custom Actions / Conditions
- Custom Aspects
- Custom Transformers
- Developing Applications against a standalone Alfresco server via Alfresco's Web Service API. In this case, the SDK works as a wrapper for the Alfresco API.
- Embedding Alfresco into existing Applications via Alfresco's Java Foundation API or standards-compliant JCR API
Some say typically, the SDK is used stand-alone, but how do you see the results without using the Alfresco web client? An Alfresco Release Installation is also required if performing any of the following:
- Customising the Alfresco Web Client
- Testing a custom Application that connects to a remote Alfresco Server
- Deploying a tested custom plug-in to a remote Alfresco Server
The SDK is not designed for re-building Alfresco i.e. it does not provide full build scripts and artifacts, therefore if you wish to develop bug fixes or extend the core functionality of the Alfresco platform, you should use the full Alfresco development environment provided in the Alfresco SVN Repository.
To check for and report bugs and issues, use the Alfresco Bug and Issue Tracking Application.
To discuss any aspect of Alfresco with the community, use the Alfresco Forums.
Building the SDK from SVN
You can build the SDK from SVN source using ANT:
ant -f continuous.xml distribute-sdk
Once that the SDK is compiled it has to be deployed to the application server
Alfresco documentation is continuously being improved. If you see any issues with this documentation please feel free to fix via our WIKI editing capabilities. Again, if you get stuck, don't forget the Developer Resources.